Monday, July 16, 2007

Tapering

Very little training this past week. Only a 10k run on Friday and a 50k bike on Sunday. Guess you could call it tapering off for PD. Tapering my ass! More like laziness!

It's funny how once you get off a regular routine, it's so difficult to get back on it. Tuesday night last week, I had to miss the weekly ride because i was shooting a TV commercial. I've done many shoots before, some ending in the wee hours of the morning. But somehow, this one was different. Maybe it's because I haven't been on shoot in a looooong time. Or maybe, I'm just getting older and my body can't take late nights anymore. But I just couldn't pick myself up after that. We wrapped filming at 3am, I got home and slept till 12pm before heading back to work.

But i just felt so fatigued the whole day. I couldn't concentrate at work. I was so tired that I cancelled swimming that night. The next day (Thursday) was the same. So I cancelled running that night. By then my routine was way out of whack.

I finally ran on Friday, but even that was after a huge debate with myself. Part of me wanted to run, the other said, "Let's just chill out and watch TV with the boys." Eventually, I did go.

But even that run took its toll. My planned 20k the next morning didn't happen because I was too knackered. I think the 10k run actually made things worse. I was getting to the point where i was actually dreading going out for a bike ride or run.

There is light at the end of the tunnel though. As much as i dreaded getting out of bed for yesterday's ride (I woke up thinking, "why am i waking up so early for only 50k? what's the point?"), I actually enjoyed it. Maybe it was a good idea to start a period of inactivity with something short rather than going long. It was an enjoyable pace, with some good company, so hopefully this will help kickstart my training again.

And if it doesn't, I'll just say I'm tapering...

No comments: